As I mentioned previously, I’ve been delving in my computer archives and I have come up with some forgotten knitting projects from years when I didn’t log things as well as I should have.
I thought I’d have a chat today about this jumper because it illustrates the idea I’ve touched on once or twice to use those hand-dyed or difficult, splodgy yarns as an accent on a plain garment. It’s an effect that can be done very successfully on sweaters which are constructed with a circular yoke and I experimented here to see if I could translate it onto a set-in sleeve pattern. If you’re wondering why I didn’t just knit a sweater with a circular yoke, it’s one of those know your own body shape things – circular yokes are not the best on me. Anyway, this garment kind-of worked and kind-of didn’t, for reasons which I’ll explain as I go along.
First of all I have to admit that I can’t remember anything about either of the yarns I used, except to hazard a guess that they were both DK weight. The plain yarn was really good and had a lot of elasticity to it which worked particularly well with the shaping of this jumper. I’ve got a strong feeling that the pattern is the fitted sweater from the book One Thousand Sweaters by Amanda Griffiths with some deviations for reasons which escape me.
Looking at the photos I am very happy with the fit of this sweater and I can remember liking it at the time, but the fit across the shoulders is poor. I think it’s noticeable in the photo that the sleeve heads are not sitting at my natural shoulder line. That’s not a pattern fault, by the way, it’s a ‘me and my narrow shoulders’ issue, but even back then I should have known that I might need to make adjustments to take it into account on such a fitted top. This might be exacerbated by the ‘yoke’ being a contrast not only visually but also in fibre content (I can see in some close-up shots that the two yarns look very different).
Having said I liked this sweater, I now have to confess that I didn’t keep it in my wardrobe for very long and that wasn’t because of the iffy fit over the shoulders, but down to a much more fundamental mistake – I fudged the neck shaping. I don’t know why, perhaps I had knitted previous jumpers with necklines too wide, or too low at the back. Anyway, for whatever reason, I did a strange neckline and as a result I could hardly get this jumper over my head! Once I had struggled to get it on, on it stayed until the time came to desperately try to remove it without detaching my ears. Please believe me when I tell you that I do not have the world’s largest head; you only have to go hat shopping with me to realise that I am, in fact, what I like to term as a ‘pin-head’. It is therefore still a mystery to me how I managed to knit a jumper with that seriously bad a neckline.
Despite the flaws, I still think this is a good jumper and a very good idea for those pesky one-skein wonders which no human being has the strength to resist. A re-knit is definitely on the cards with modifications to the shoulder area and a proper neckline. Seeing this project again after all these years has given me pause for thought about the Cucumber Vintage Sweater. I think the shoulders may be rather wide on that one as well so I will be interested to see how it turns out. At least the opening at the back of the neck guarantees I’ll be able to remove it without risking self-harm.
That’s all for now. I think this afternoon I ought to see about getting the neckband worked on my current project.