Today being the first Saturday in the month, I went off to Norwich Castle Museum to my writing class. I thought before I set off that it might be fun to take a photo showing what I pack in my bag when I’m off to class, so here it is.
Bag: Knomo “Antwerp” cross-body bag
Contents from top left moving clockwise:
- Woollen fingerless mitts — similar available from my Etsy shop
- House and bicycle keys on lanyard
- Wool felt beret
- Cath Kidston small leather purse
- Wizzard little tool for repairing glasses
- Mark and Fold A6 stitched notebook printed up with monthly diary
- Mark and Fold A5 linen-cover stitched notebook
- Cath Kidston glasses case
- Pappersbruk top-bound spiral notepad
- DIY tinted lipbalm
- Waterman Hemisphere fountain pen in Rose Cuivre finish
- Swizzels Parma Violet sweets
- Avon Encanto hand cream
- Envelope containing Waterstones gift cards
In our class today we studied objects in the current exhibition Viking: Rediscover the Legend. By the end of the class I had written the following poem,
This supple leather had, in previous days,
Cradled the calloused foot of Ivar’s father
As he traveled the familiar paths of a city
Many miles, many years, from home.
Each morning Ivar watched as the shoe
Was drawn with barely audible creaks
Onto the foot it had sworn to protect,
And the bone of a long-dead sheep
Passed through a loop of hide
To join foot and shoe in solemn matrimony.
It went thus each day, until one day
Foot and shoe did not return
And Ivar, in his grief,
Walked the path in his father’s stead.
I have to say I am loving my monthly get-together with other local writers and the chance to focus on things that I wouldn’t perhaps be drawn to on my own.
How was your Saturday?